statcounter

Wednesday 25 March 2009

Cooking Plans Replanned


Visited Durham railway station today and picked up my TGO train tickets to Edinburgh and my tickets to Sanquhar and back in a couple of weeks time. The Sanquhar trip will be four days of backpacking and wild camping which is part of my TGO challenge training and trying-things-out event that I do every April prior to a Challenge.

This year, I'm trying to get everything into a new 45 ltr rucksack. I've also been quite confused about cooking stuff - that is things to cook and eat out of, not things to cook. I bought a Primus ETA stove and panset with an extra, slightly smaller pan. This boils water at an incredible rate, but I've decided its too heavy. So today, I got a little cheapo Blacks non-stick panset into which will fit my old Primus stove (not sure what the model is, but its very small...) and a selection of instant MOD tea, coffee and sugar bags - enough for a week's brew-ups, infact. This is half the weight of the other thing.

Incidentally, the other thing started backfiring. Did it get too hot, without any wind? Or is it a fault? Is it, in fact, a problem at all? Would it be a problem with the canister? And what did I do with the receipt?

Anyway, my planning at the moment is centred around the Sanquhar trip and a possible crack at the South Tyne trail in a few days time.

5 comments:

Phreerunner said...

Interesting ad today, Mike - do you get paid for these??
I thought your new stove looked impressively heavy! but I'm sure it'll be great for some trips. We have yet to find something to beat the 175gm MSR Superfly, simply because we take it to places where there's a fire risk, and it fits both Camping Gaz and standard screw top cylinders. Our Snowpeak titanium pan set (300gm with pot cosy) is fine, even for long trips.
But you already know all this, I told you in a previous comment!
Have fun with your TGO training...

Mike Knipe said...

Hmmm not sure I want ads about the 3 peaks challenge. I don't know why I have ads to be honest...
I weighed the ETA thing and, including the little wooden spoon, it weighs a bit over 1kg. The other primus plus pot and frying pan, and wooden spoon is 520gm, the stove component being 140gm. This has had very heavy use for five or six years.
I think the ETA would be specially good for two people in cold weather!

Alan Sloman said...

I have just packed for my Snowdonia trip this weekend for really crappy weather in my 46 litre Exos - and I was quite surprised it all fitted in easily and with three full days of food on board plus whisky plus two half litre water bottles and full length Exped Downmat.

You should be fine Mike.

Mike Knipe said...

The rucksack seems to extend to 55 litres if you pull a sleeve thingy out...
And I found a built-in rain cover, which was nice.
You're right, Alan, it orta be big enough. I've packed it for a two day walk starting Sunday afternoon and there's space to spare even at the 45 litre mode.
Except that the akto is strapped on the top and I haven't put the scotch in yet.
Its got 2 days walking scoff plus an evening meal and a breakfast and enough tea to float something that floats on a lot of tea.
have a nice time in Wales, Alan and dioch a fawr for the positive comment.
worrever that means...

Mike Knipe said...

spelled diolch wrong... dhuhh...