statcounter

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Across Cumbria day 4 Three tarns to Dunmail raise






















Thursday 13 August.

A sparkling morning with a hint of a cloud inversion saw me standing on top of Bowfell with the rare privilege of having the hill all to myself.
Shortly after I reached the top, though, a Dad on half a day’s leave was spending his GBP’s by having a round of the Crinkles and Bowfell. I left him alone to be the only person on Bowfell
I descended to Angle tarn by Ore Gap and traversed the boggy backside of Rossett Pike to Stake Pass where I had a nice chat with a bloke from Guisborough and his two well trained and friendly collies. Another chap turned up and asked for directions to the Langdale Pikes. We pointed out the top of Pike o’ Stickle and sent him on his way. I followed on and the chap followed me from in front, waiting for me to catch up a bit every now and then.
The last I saw of him, he was spreadeagled on an unnecessarily difficult scramble up the Pike. I stashed my pack in a peat hag and scramble up and down again, getting a text from Martin Banfield on the top.
We met a few minutes later and went over Thunacar Knott and Sergeant man before lunching by a beck above Easedale. Martin fed me somewhat on butties and lasagne.
I have no pictures of this encounter as all of my supply of recharged batteries were useless and they all failed to spark up any response from the camera after that little red battery started flashing.
I bought more batterries, plus whisky and beer in Grasmere.
The forecast both from Martin and the LDNP weatherline and from my cloud-predicting text pal Genjii reported 90% chance of showers the next day, so, after Martin had departed back to the temperate climes of Timperley, I implemented a Foul Weather Alternative plan, which involved visiting the Travellers Rest for another think and some minor boozing, and wandered up the road till I spotted a camping spot just short of the dual carriageway by Raise Beck. A good spot with good water and slightly surprised sheep who were under the impression that this kind of thing wasn’t allowed. It was also a really good camping spot if traffic noise soothes you to sleep. (If this is the case, don’t go in for a career as a coach driver, by the way. Just a tip, there.)
This was just a bit below the big cairn on Dunmail Raise which marks the site of the defeat of King Dunmail (brown mail) at the hands of the naughty Anglians in 5 echty – blob. Just goes to prove that if you let your armour go rusty, you just can’t expect any respect from the Anglians.
The position was exquisitely strategic for an assault on the Hellvellyn ridge if the weather proved fair, or a walk down by Thirlmere if it didn’t.
I was in smug mode, unlike King Dunmail, who wasn’t.


Today, I covered 13 miles and 2500 feet of climbing.

A good day with good company, and, in retrospect, probably the best day of the lot.

Just like the path to Threlkeld, it was mostly downhill from here……

8 comments:

Phreerunner said...

I enjoyed this day as well, Mike. Thanks for getting me out.
I'm glad you found some more beer to lubricate your 'Kylie Dreams'!

Mike Knipe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Knipe said...

Cracking day, Martin. Previous post removed by The management (me) I enjoyed almost all of it (the walk up by the main road was a bit scary at times - monkeys driving cars ...!)

Mike Knipe said...

Cracking day, Martin. Previous post removed by The management (me) I enjoyed almost all of it (the walk up by the main road was a bit scary at times - monkeys driving cars ...!)

Phreerunner said...

'This post has been deleted'
I rather enjoyed it actually, Mike, it was less repetitive, it was less repetitive, than its replacement. I hope Outdoors Bloggers are allowed otdoors at the same time or I'd be in dead trouble after my last few outings!

Mike Knipe said...

I deleted the unrepetetive comment comment cos I was slightly unsober after treating myself to a cheapo bottle of vino callapso from the Crook Boozerama. And I thought certain "outdoor" bloggers might take the 'ump.
You wouldn't want anybody having it away with the 'ump.
'Umpless, you'd be, an' thats not a good thing sometimes.
I might have revealed the sense of the deleted comment by the use of the inverted commas there...
Where's my 'ump?
I ought to delete the duplicate, I suppose...

Phreerunner said...

Do "outdoors" bloggers read this? I thought they were too busy at home, playing with rarely used equipment!
Don't delete delete the duplicated duplicated comment, or the rest won't make sense.
Perhaps it doesn't anyway.
That's all for now - have to go check the NeoAir experiment.

Mike Knipe said...

I have no evidence that "outdoor" bloggers read this.
But you never know. Walls have ears. They also do cornets and ice lollies.